Monday, September 16, 2013

What Not to Submit for NBC's Late Night Writers Workshop



Last month I applied for a spot in NBC's Late Night Writers Workshop, "a two-day program focused on exposing talented sketch and comedy writers to NBCUniversal's late night line-up and readying them for a staff writer position."

If you know me and/or have visited this site, I've been on a mission to land a steady, comedy writing job. This was the perfect opportunity to showcase my skills!

Well, I didn't make the cut.

But, I'm posting this for other aspiring comedy writers, and for the NBC staff who vetted entries to realize they've made a terrible, terrible mistake by excluding me! (It should be noted that the submission website mentions "We particularly encourage female writers and those of diverse backgrounds to apply." So I'm unsure how much my chances were wrecked by not being female or diverse. In fact, I'm a white Jewish male. Which is the exact opposite of "diverse" in a writer's room.)

Applicants were asked to submit "one properly formatted 'sketch' packet", which would contain the following:

1-2 pages of monologue jokes (a la Late Night with Jimmy Fallon) for one or several characters/host personalities.

1-2 pages of headline news/ topical jokes (a la Saturday Night Live’s “Weekend Update”).

2 sketches, at least one should be a “correspondent” “desk bit” or “pre-taped” sketch (Examples: Jimmy Fallon’s “Thank-You Notes” or Jay Leno’s “Ross the Intern”).

I had trouble discerning the difference between "monologue jokes" and "news/topical jokes", because to me these are the same. So I cherry-picked what I felt were my strongest topical jokes from the last 3-4 months. The "hard news" based jokes I designated for the "Weekend Update" batch, and the lighter, goofier ones for the monologue batch (intended for Jimmy Fallon's voice).

Also, I don't fancy myself as a traditional "sketch" writer, so I churned out two original desk piece ideas for Fallon, instead of an SNL-style sketch.

All of these choices seemed to showcase my strengths, hide my weaknesses, and fell within the competition guidelines. But did these choices help/hurt my chances? The frustrating part is that I'll never know. But I will take another crack at it when the 2014 submission window opens.

Anyhow, here's the packet I submitted:


10 comments:

  1. Funny stuff, sorry you didn't get it! Distinguishing between monologue and news/topical jokes might be more about the style than the content - specifically, whether or not the audience is present for the telling of the joke.

    The monologue is a standup routine, utilizing more conversational elements: Jay Leno often said things like "no it's true" or repeated things to remind everyone that there was an audience, like "new clothing outfitter dedicated to the tallest men in the world, the TALLEST men in the world", whereas weekend update doesn't try to engage the studio audience, maybe pausing for laughter but just as often barreling through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool, thank you for the clarification..makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man,
      I just found this while searching for info about how to apply for weekend update as a freelance Writer, im new to this whole thing and only just found out that submissions only open during september each year. Ive been googling and emailing anyone for info, would You happen to have any info on how to submit? I hear its a 10 joke packet but you have to contact the writers directly.

      Anyway thanks for your time, Im open to any info about submitting to shows as a freelancer. If nothing else itll help me develop my craft!
      All the best

      Delete
    2. Hi Gregory, I've only submitted for the Update freelance pool once (about 3 years ago), and it was like you mentioned--a 10 joke packet around the end of August/beginning of September. I got the opportunity through my manager (at the time). As usual, it seems to be about who you know to get a shot to apply.

      Delete
  3. I see a couple of typos, and you repeated the Kate Middleton joke. I kow they got over 1000 applications this year. Maybe those simple mistakes was your undoing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good jokes, why not try again another time?

    I read instructions though as them wanting the desk bits AND the SNL sketches. The sketches needing to be scripted, whereas the desk bits are just 1-2 pages of basic ideas (eg Jaywalking, Headlines, slow-jamming the news, a food fight only with carnival food, etc...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a head writer for David Letterman and Jay Leno and put everything I know about writing for late-night TV in my book, "Comedy Writing for Late-Night TV." It's the ultimate how-to manual for writing late-night comedy. Buy a copy on Amazon and make your next submission packet the best it can be. Good luck and have fun! Here's the link:

    http://www.amazon.com/Comedy-Writing-Late-Night-Monologue-Short-Form/dp/0615953891/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419090871&sr=8-1&keywords=comedy+writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe, thanks for stopping by. I will definitely have to get my hands on a copy of your book.

      Delete
  6. These jokes were funny! I really hope you try again. You are an awesome writer. dont give up! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These jokes were funny! I really hope you try again. You are an awesome writer. dont give up! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete